Friday, October 31, 2014

Guatemala, October 25th-31st, 2014

Florida Hospital Group & Friends


Today is our last day here at the Center. It has been a wonderful experience! There is something about these children that automatically captures your heart and soul. Their little faces and smiles will forever be in our minds.

This is my first time here in Guatemala, and I have to say I did not know what to expect. I was excited but nervous. Let me tell you, about five minutes into the first day...I was a goner. The smiles of these children and the joy they shine forth is so welcoming and captivating, it is truly amazing.

Children are so special. Jesus mentions children many times in the Bible, especially about how precious they are to Him. He told His disciples, "Let the little children come to Me." These children here in Guatemala are God's precious ones. When I think about that, it humbles me. To think, Jesus has called me here to another country to care for and love HIS beloved! What an honor He has bestowed upon us, to be vessels of love in our Savior's hands. To lavish upon these little ones the love of Christ.

One of the many things that come to mind when I think about the past few days are the smiles! They melt you. And even better, when you receive a smile of recognition. When you have made a connection, a forever friend. Some are more easily given than others but all are so special! The first day we arrived, Monday, a little boy named Daniel arrived. He was very fragile emotionally. Crying as nannies left the room, not wanting to play with other children, and shying away from us gringos. On Wednesday, a breakthrough was made. God gave me the opportunity to enter into his suffering and love on him. We took a stroll around the room hand in hand, kicking the soccer ball to keep our mind off of missing his mommy and daddy. Then we sat on the mat with the other dolphins, Daniel in my lap. Glancing at toys, picking one up occasionally and snuggling! Many hugs, bounces and pats on the back later he was asleep with his little head on my shoulder. Later on that day I even got a smile and some laughter out of him! That was the highlight of my week, to enter into his world and give him rest. While on a different scale, this is what Jesus has done for me! He has entered into my world and given me love and peace and rest in His embrace.He is such a gracious God!

I could go on and on about these children, but I will end with this verse,"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

Give thanks to Jesus for all He has done!

No comments:

Post a Comment