Tuesday, July 15, 2014

GUATEMALA - Record-breaking team!

This week we have a record-breaking team of 83 (plus interns and translators and Guatemalan staff), hailing from FLORIDA, MISSISSIPPI, AND GEORGIA!   We're a mighty army, ready for great work!

Our first day at the Center was about like we had expected it to be: a little chaotic and a lot of excitement!  The moment we arrived, everyone went right to work. It didn't take long, however, for the volunteers to fall completely in love with the children. 

In the daycare, smiles and laughter were abundant as they sang and danced to worship songs in Spanish and played duck, duck, goose. 

Food baskets for sponsored families were filled with various grains and ingredients. We're expecting 30 sponsored children to come tomorrow for their medical check-up and to pick up their basket of food.  We can't wait!

The cooks were hard at work in the kitchen, and the children were loved and cared for by all. 

While most of our volunteers were at the Center with the children, several went to a local nursing home. They read Bible stories in Spanish, played Bingo, made beaded necklaces, and danced with the residents. The residents cried when they had to leave.  But they'll be back tomorrow!

Our first day with Orphan’s Heart has been nothing short of amazing, and everyone is looking forward to the rest of an awesome week!

Some comments from team members:

--Today I worked with the daycare children.  These children were so much fun and pretty well-developed.  After the Bible story today the kids were able to draw pictures of what they learned about.  A little 6-year-old, Moises, asked me to draw some of his picture, and he loved what I added to his picture.  Those kids made my heart full.  During their lunch and snack I went to help with some of the other groups, and it genuinely broke my heart to see the condition they are in.  I am so blessed!

--When I first came into the Center I was assigned to work with the siblings of the children at the Center.  Well, of course nothing is perfect; the siblings never came, and I ended up with the Ducks and Squirrels.  Right when I walked in I saw a little boy standing alone just watching everyone.  I immediately asked what’s his name but he never answered me.  I eventually found out his name was Santos.  I fell in love with him!  This is only day one, and I look forward to everything ahead this week!

--Today Andres had a book, and he read all of the animals' names and what size they were and whether he liked them or not. He loves books and is so smart!

--Marvin in the ducks is losing his chubby cheeks, but he is growing into a handsome boy with beautiful dimples!

--I met a sweet child named Jose Guadalupe, who is a little over 1 year old but only looks like he is 3 months old. I was absolutely heartbroken and cried and prayed over him. I rocked him to sleep and reluctantly left him at lunch time.

--In the Chicks room they are learning to be potty trained. It amazed me that they sit so well and follow orders and know exactly what to do.

--When we went to the nursing home, we danced and bowled with them. We gave and received lots of hugs and kisses. Some cried when we left. It touched my heart and I will remember them forever.

--Three new children were admitted to the Center today into the Dolphins. Please pray for Karina, Herber, and Ezekiel and their families as they transition. It was wonderful to hear Karina laugh while playing with a ball, and Herber cleaned his plate at lunch. What a blessing to be here with these kids.

--A small group of us went to a local nursing home. We entertained the people there with games, crafts, a Bible story, and dancing. We all enjoyed the interaction.

--One of the nannies spilt baby food on my shoulder!

--Manuel gave me a kiss when I set him down for a nap.

--I really liked Pablo because he was wearing a Messi jersey. He loved to have his picture taken and loved to slide on the slide outside. His smile and his fun personality truly warmed my heart!

Here are some pictures from our awesome day:

No comments:

Post a Comment