Monday, October 13, 2014

Guatemala October 11-17, 2014

I

Guatemala, October 11-17, 2014


Orchard Hill Community Church and other friends from Michigan


As a returning volunteer to the Orphan's Heart malnutrition center in Guatemala, I thought that I wouldn't be as emotional as I was during my time here last October --  I was wrong. Walking into the malnutrition center, hearing the cries of the babies, seeing the photos of the many children who are being cared for here, I was overwhelmed with the same heartache I was filled with last year. An overwhelming realization that there is so much hurt in this world. So much brokenness, so much hunger and pain. Last night as I was struggling with these feelings I decided to look at what verse my daily bible verse app on my phone had picked for the day, and I was surprised to see that the verse fit perfectly with what I was experiencing here, "The one who gives to the poor will not lack, but whoever shuts his eyes to them will receive many curses." Proverbs 28:7. While this may seem harsh, I can see how well this verse pertains to my time here in Guatemala. I feel as though myself, and Americans in general, struggle at times with shutting our eyes to the needy and poor. It's almost easier to pretend that such hurts don't exist in the world. We shelter ourselves in our own little American bubble, failing to see beyond our own selfish wants into a huge beautiful world that needs the knowledge of God's love. Being at the center here in Guatemala I have decided that I need to stop being passive. I need to stop forgetting about the hurting world that exists outside of my comfort zone. Jesus calls us to, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." Mark 16:15. The time is now. The people of the world need to know the love of Christ. Holding a baby here at the center, giving one of the beautiful, hard-working nannies a helping hand, changing a diaper - they all are small ways in which the kingdom of God can grow. I see God's work here at the center every hour of every day. Children are becoming stronger. Lives are being changed. Today the chorus of "Jesus Loves Me" being sung in Spanish by beautiful children, rang though the center loud and clear. The name of Christ is being proclaimed. We have answered a call to Christ this week - I urge you to do the same. 

- Rebekah Karel 




















No comments:

Post a Comment