Friday, July 18, 2014

GUATEMALA Team Says Goodbye!

·        The "mighty army" from Florida, Mississippi and Georgia said its farewells to Guatemala today after a very productive week!


Many dreams came true this week because of the hard work of this amazing team and all the faithful workers!  We were able to break new ground and do some things we've never been able to do before!  Our team of 83 was divided into the following ministry teams:
  • Bible Story
  • Crafts
  • Music
  • Recreation
  • Day Care kids
  • Senior Center
  • Siblings
  • Dolphins
  • Canaries
  • Bunnies
  • Chicks
  • Ducks
  • Squirrels
  • Inventory
  • Clinic
  • Maintenance
  • Kitchen
  • Photos/Blog
Everyone had a job, and everyone gave 100%!  Hear some thoughts from some of our team members:

I was so blessed at the Senior Care Center this morning! The little ladies and men are so full of love!  They all hugged and kissed us!  We did a “free” store and let them shop.  It was so cute to see them choose a stuffed animal and just squeeze it.  I saw the biggest smiles ever!

Today was an awesome time at the Senior Center! Those elderly people were adorable.  We played “Simon Says”, sang music, colored pictures, and did other activities.  They had a special store for them, too, which they greatly appreciated!  I met 2 ladies who reminded me of my grandma.  Their names were Elda and Baudilia.  I met a gentleman named Angel, aka “Senor Marshmallow”.  It was quite amazing how spunky these folks were, and then to find out many of them walked to that place amazed me even more.  I sure want to go back there next time I am here!


Today I went to the senior center and fell in love with every single person, and it makes me want to work in a nursing home.

As we said our final goodbyes at the senior center, Magda told me we will live forever in her heart; Oliver said that he will be waiting on us whenever we return.

Today at the Senior Center while we were leaving, one beautiful woman walked up to me and told me she will be waiting for me, and she smiled and said thank you and pointed up to God.

Angie (one of our new admits) has been very sick, but today she no longer had a fever and even ate all her lunch.  Ezequial, who also was admitted on Monday, laughed today!  That was so good to hear!

After working in the kitchen all week, on our last day, Antonia gave me an apron to wear.  What an honor!  Even with a language barrier I really bonded with those sweet ladies!

Skip was praying this A.M. with the group and started to cry when he thought about having to leave Eduardo.  So sweet and genuine to share with my hubby.

The church provided a sewing machine to be used by Ilvie for mending the children’s clothes. When I gave it to her, she told me the machine she was using had no pressure foot and she wasn't able to get the needle in anymore.

I have had the privilege to play music for these amazing kids at the Malnutrition Center.  I would walk up and down the hallways and in the classrooms just plucking away on my ukulele.  As I passed by the kids, they would stare up in amazement and even try to play it while I’m playing.  These kids have had such a big impact on my life and I am so glad I could be a part of theirs!  I also had the chance to go to the Senior Center and play music for them.  It was my first time singing and playing my ukulele simultaneously in front of a crowd and I am so glad it went well.  I am just so blessed to have been able to come to Guatemala.

The sibling team handed out lunches, and a little girl asked what we were going to do about our lunch.  I just thought it was cool that she was worried about us.
Siblings of children in the Center
I did a devotion with the staff about how to handle “interruptions” that come into their lives.  They decorated stars which will remind them to allow “interruptions” become an opportunity to shine for Jesus.

Orphan’s Heart not only loves on the children in the Center, but they also look for people to bless in the towns on the way to and from the Center.  We handed out bags of snacks and candy to a little girl that is always on the street with her mom, waving as we go by; and with the men at a gas station that we pass every day.

The Center looks great!  There’s still so much to do, but already it is brighter, cleaner and more organized.

Today I fell in love with a boy named Luis.  We played together for the second part of our morning.  We flew kites and ran around the playground.  After that, I joined him for lunch.  As I sat watching him eat, I was filled with emotion knowing that this boy I had quickly grown attached to would receive needed meals and be provided for once I leave.  All thanks to our Great God and the ministry of Orphan’s Heart!




No comments:

Post a Comment